Monday, September 17, 2012

Blog News 9/17/12 & Blogging Around



The fall season is about to begin and this is where the real good movies start to come along as I'm excited about it. I just wish I had some pocket money to spare so I can go see these films. Especially the ones that had just played at the film festivals in Venice and Toronto as it was fun to read about them and following the various film news sites and blogs that were covering these festivals. I just hope I can catch up with some 2012 films as I haven't seen a lot of new films this year.

At the moment, I'm currently working on my next Auteurs piece on Paul Thomas Anderson as it's slated for a late September release, hopefully to coincide with The Master when it arrives in Atlanta (which sadly won't be shown in 70mm). One project that unfortunately won't come out was supposed to be the next part of my Favorite Films essay series on the Dollars Trilogy. I fucked up. I couldn't really think things through and I had only written about a few pages. For me, it wasn't enough to my liking as I wanted it to be grander so it can live up to the pageantry of Sergio Leone. As a result, I scrapped it as I'm not really sure what film I will want to write about. There's a few that is lurking in my head but I decide to do it when I feel like it.

That's pretty much it for now as far as what is happening with the blog. Now, let's see what's been going around in the blogosphere.

The Toronto Film Festival has just finished and for anyone interested in reading the coverage. I suggest going to these blogs for the coverage. Big Thoughts from a Small Mind, gmanReviews, the Matinee, JustAtad, and Duke and the Movies.

James of Cinema Sights has a great piece on Iranian filmmaker Abbas Kiarostami that is worth checking out.

Dan of Dan the Man's Movie Reviews has a brilliant review on P.T. Anderson's The Master that is a compelling read.

Bonjour Tristesse has an amazing review of one of my favorite films of the 1990s in the Dardenne Brothers' Rosetta.

Sati of Cinematic Corner has an amazing review on a film I'm eager to see in Compliance.

Alex of And So It Begins... has a very insightful piece on 10 Films that aren't deserving of the Best Picture Oscar.

Chip of Tips from Chip has a review of one of my all-time favorite comedies in A Fish Called Wanda.

Finally, there's Diana of Aziza's picks who gets a chance to see a film I'm eager to check out the new version of Anna Karenina.

Well, that is all for today. In the coming days, I'll be watching films from Francois Truffaut including a few films of the Antoine Doinel series that I haven't seen. If there's time and some access, I'll also watch the films of Samuel Fuller as I'm also planning to put out some old reviews of movies by Robert Altman in October along with the films of Sergio Leone for next month's Auteurs series. Until then, this is the void99 signing off...

(C) thevoid99 2012

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the linkage Steve! Hope you get to see it soon. It's pretty amazing, but nothing like There Will Be Blood, as you probably read.

David said...

Samuel Fuller and Robert Altman are two directors I can call them "auteurs",can't wait to see reviews of their films.And of course,the auteur piece of Sergio Leone!

Unknown said...

I plan on doing a lot of catching up with this year's films too. Been distracted with too many other things lately. Hoping to do some extensive coverage of VIFF starting at the end of the month.

Anyways, thanks for the shout out. It's always appreciated.

s. said...

Thank you so much for the link! I'm looking forward to your piece on Anderson, can't wait for The Master!

thevoid99 said...

@Dan-I'm definitely looking forward to The Master as I'm keeping track on when it's going to come out.

@David-There's a lot of films by Altman that I've seen but there's some I'm eager to see. Samuel Fuller is in a list of filmmakers whose work I had never seen so this is a chance to check these films out.

@Bonjour-My own personal and financial issues is what's keeping me from seeing some new movies. I really need to catch up as well.

@Sati-My Auteurs piece on P.T. Anderson is already 2/3s done. I just need to do finish work on There Will Be Blood and then cover his shorts and music videos.

Diana said...

Firstly, thank you for the link, I'm glad you liked it!
Secondly, I can't wait to see The Master, but I don't even know if it's going to show up anytime soon in my home country cinemas!

thevoid99 said...

@Diana-You're welcome. Check here for the release dates on The Master.

Chip Lary said...

Thanks for the linkage. Sorry for the long overdue acknowledgement. This has been a strange month and I've been out of my normal routines.

thevoid99 said...

@Chip-That's OK. Just as long as you can get your routine back, you'll be fine.