Thursday, May 09, 2013

2013 Cannes Film Festival Marathon Announcement




From May 15 to the 26th, the 66th Annual Cannes Film Festival will commence to showcase many new films from the world's great filmmakers. New films from Sofia Coppola, Baz Luhrmann, Steven Soderbergh, Jim Jarmusch, Francois Ozon, the Coen Brothers, Roman Polanski, Nicolas Winding Refn, Alexander Payne, Asghar Farhadi, Takashi Miike, James Gray, Hirokazu Koreeda, and many others will be unveiled at the festival. Some of which will be in competition and some are just are there for different reasons to show new films. It's the moment where film buffs all over the world come together to see these films and it is around this time that I also will be taking part in my annual Cannes Film Festival Marathon. This year, I have selected a total of 15 films for the festival. 2 of which will be re-watches while 13 others will be first-timers as they will be competing for a fictional version of the Palme D'or.



The opening film of the marathon will be Wim Wenders' Wings of Desire that won the director the 1987 Best Director prize at the festival.



The closing film of the marathon will be Terry Gilliam's wild adaptation of Hunter S. Thompson's classic novel Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas which played in competition at the 1998 Cannes Film Festival.

Here are the 13 first-timers I will be watching for the duration of the Cannes Film Festival.

El Norte

Lenny

Farewell My Concubine

Certified Copy

Japon

Police, Adjective

Happy Together

Secret Sunshine

Z

Somersault

Uncle Boonmee Who Can Recall His Past Lives

Le fils

& Enter the Void

These will be the films that will compete for the fictional prizes I will bestow at the marathon which will begin on the 15th of May and end on Sunday May 26th where the festival will announce the winners. Au Revoir.

4 comments:

Chris said...

Have fun with your Cannes marathon! Wings of Desire is amazing and in my top 100. Le fils is really good too. I was underwhelmed by Z (1969)-but don't let that stop you.

A Payne's Nebraska is my most anticipated from festival, also few others, Gatsby, S Coppola,Jarmusch, etc.I'm excited tracklist for The Bling Ring is available now.

By the way, did you listen to new Fleetwood Mac ep Extended Play? I'm liking Miss Fantasy the most. Sad Angel is not bad.

Courtney Small said...

Wings of Desire is on my Blind Spot list this year. Really looking forward to it.

Of your 13 first-time films I have seen:

Lenny
Farewell My Concubine - One of my favourites!! Excited to see it on your list.
Certified Copy
Uncle Boonmee Who Can Recall His Past Lives
Enter the Void

Enjoyed all of them so you are in for some good, and at times challenging, films.

3guys1movie.com said...

Nice I will plenty of films to check out if I ever make it off my yacht.

thevoid99 said...

@Chris-I haven't had the chance to listen to the new EP though I might download it later today as I'm more into the new albums by Savages and the National. I also recommend the new Primal Scream album which is really their best thing since XTRMNTR.

@Courtney Small-I'm looking forward to those films and oh... you will love Wings of Desire. Just avoid the godawful remake City of Angels w/ Nicolas Cage and Meg Ryan... ew!!!

@3guys1movie-You have a yacht? Can I join ya?