Monday, March 31, 2014

The Films That I Saw: March 2014



The 2014 film season has begun and already, there’s three feature films in my list as it’s already a pretty good year. Yet, it’s also a bit tiring at times as there’s days where I don’t want to watch anything. I just want to turn my brain off for a bit and chill. Lately, I decided to watch old episodes of Beavis & Butt-Head as it was show that I loved watching in the 90s and it was the show that introduced me to Nine Inch Nails. I’ve only seen 2 minutes of the new series and it fucking sucks. It’s just not the same show and a further indication that MTV should just fucking die. After all, I need something to cool out after watching a bunch of high-brow movies.


In the month of March, I saw a total of 39 films, 25 first-timers and 14 re-watches. Three of the re-watches were WWE WrestleManias. A definite improvement over last month as the highlight of the month was easily my Blind Spot assignment in A Room with a View. Here are the top 10 first-timers that I saw for March of 2013:

1. The Grand Budapest Hotel


2. Two English Girls


3. Through a Glass Darkly


4. Howards End


5. Erin Brockovich


6. Maurice


7. Sound of My Voice


8. Dark Habits


9. The Wind Rises


10. Noah


Monthly-Mini Reviews

Now You See Me


I thought this was an alright film. I liked the twist and turns it took as well as the cast. I’m not high on Louis Letterier’s work as a filmmaker but this was still quite entertaining. Especially in its idea of magic and how Morgan Freeman tries to expose the Four Horsemen magic team with the help of Michael Caine and Mark Ruffalo but ends up going wrong. It’s also pretty funny at times.

John Leguizamo’s Ghetto Klown


I’m a big John Leguizamo fan as I love his work on the stage as this one is definitely one of his best. Notably in how he discusses his acting career and the struggles he had with himself over his plays and all sorts of things. Some of the funniest moments involves the films he did like Casualties of War, Carlito’s Way, and most of all, Executive Decision where he takes a massive shit at Steven Seagal. Yes, Seagal runs like a bitch. Plus, he also talked about his short-lived TV show House of Buggin’ that I did see when it was on TV. I still love it.

Grown Ups 2


Why? Why do I put myself into watching bad movies? I do have this sick perversion of torturing myself in watching bad movies just to see how much I can take it. This however, was far worse than that. In fact, it’s not a bad movie. It’s insulting to call it a film or a movie because it’s really trash at its lowest form. Not once did I laugh but instead, I found myself to be very offended by watching this as it had no sense of entertainment value. It had nothing profound to say. It wasn’t even trying to be anything as all it was essentially is this. OK, let’s have a deer urinating on Adam Sandler and Salma Hayek. Let’s have Kevin James burp, sneeze, and fart continuously. Let’s have David Spade inside a monster truck tire where it roams around the street where he vomits. Let’s have Shaquille O’Neal and Stone Cold Steve Austin act like morons. Let’s have women degrade themselves in every sense of the word. If that’s Adam Sandler’s idea of entertainment. Then I hope he fucking rots in hell as I felt like I died from watching this piece of shit.

Top 10 Re-Watches:

1. Trois Couleurs: Blanc


2. The Godfather


3. The Princess Bride


4. Stripes


5. The Fifth Element


6. Big


7. Walk the Line


8. Night Shift


9. Nine Months


10. Roll Bounce


Well, that’s all for March. In theatrical releases, the new Captain America along with Transcendence will be in line along with some art-house films like Enemy, The Raid 2, and Under the Skin. Another new release I hope to watch though I want to watch its extended cut is Lars von Trier’s Nymphomaniac as it was the #1 film I wanted to see last year. Also slated for next month are a few films by the Merchant-Ivory team and Francois Truffaut plus films by Steven Soderbergh, Michael Cimino, and other filmmakers that I plan to profile in the Auteurs series for the year as April’s profile will be on Francois Ozon. Until then, this is thevoid99 signing off and getting ready for the dreaded period that is pollen season.

© thevoid99 2014

5 comments:

Chris said...

You're list of rewatches is gold for me, and I'm not April-fooling you :) Big, The Fifth Element, White, Walk the Line. Great stuff!

I just saw watchmojo best films of all-time list, and The Godfather is their no 1 pick: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYROqsUAw0o

Quite interesting, those guys at watchmojo have also been doing top 10 films for each decade.

ruth said...

Hey, nice to see that the highlight for the month is A Room with a View. I was close to putting my Blindspot viewing as my favorite but in the end I had to go w/ Captain America: The Winter Soldier as it even exceeds my already lofty expectations!

I didn't care for 'Now You See Me' at all though, and I wouldn't go near 'Grown Ups' or its sequel.

thevoid99 said...

@Chris-Thanks. The Godfather was on TV yesterday and I just watched it. How can you not love that movie?

@ruth-For the sake of your soul and your life, I would pretty much avoid Grown Ups 2. Besides, you have no idea how offended you would be.

Mette said...

I like to chill and not watch movies too... but then I would never manage to watch 35 movies like you did!! Impressive.

thevoid99 said...

@Mette-I'm surprised that I saw that many films this month. Film-watching can get overwhelming. I think it's best where you want to turn your brain off and not really think about watching films.