Sunday, July 31, 2016

Films That I Saw: July 2016




The second half of 2016 has begun and it is still really fucking bad. I often wonder what year was worse, this or 1968? I think 1968 still takes the cake in terms of all of the shit that has happened. More people getting killed, more famous people die, and all sorts of crazy shit. The party conventions for the election was definitely a circus despite that one notable moment in which the father of a slain Muslim-American soldier spoke at the Democratic National Convention and pretty much gave the best speech of the year. It’s a moment that really crystallizes what an American really is and all that we need to cherish no matter how fucked up things are. Unfortunately, there are those this in this country that will fuck it all up for their own bullshit.



In the month of July, I saw a total of 37 films in 24 first-timers 13 re-watches. Definitely surprising as I think some of it is attributed to my bouts with insomnia as it a major step-up from last month as well. One of the highlights of the month has definitely been my Blind Spot choice in John Ford’s Cavalry trilogy in Fort Apache, She Wore a Yellow Ribbon, and Rio Grande. Here are the ten best first-timers I saw for July 2016:

1. Shane



2. Red River



3. Everybody Want Some!!



4. 3 Godfathers



5. Smokey and the Bandit



6. Wild



7. Magic Mike XXL



8. American Sniper



9. Smokey and the Bandit II



10. Lost Soul: The Doomed Journey of Richard Stanley's Island of Dr. Moreau



Monthly Mini-Reviews

The Final Deletion



TNA is not in my radar as I still think it’s a bush-league wrestling promotion that is becoming a sinking ship as I’ve never watched an episode of Impact nor will I as I’m just indifferent about it. However, the saga that relates to the Hardy Boys in Matt and Jeff Hardy is truly one of the most ridiculous and insane feuds out there as the trilogy of matches has culminated in an over-the-top and extremely hilarious match known as the Final Deletion. Broken Matt Hardy battles Brother Nero in a match that just defies description. It’s got flying drones. Holograms. A dilapidated boat. Fireworks. Fire. Willow. Senor Benjamin. Brother Nero’s stupid Willow gimmick. An extraordinary xylophone. And most of all…. DELETE, DELETE, DELETE, DELETE, DELETE, DELETE, DELETE, DELETE!!!!!!!! Once seen, it can’t be unseen. It is something that is going to be watched again and again and again and again and again and again…. It’s so bad it’s good but goddamn, it is the most entertaining thing I’ve seen in a very long time in the world of professional wrestling.


Southpaw



I do like boxing films though I wasn’t sure about seeing this one despite its cast as I do like Jake Gyllenhaal, Forest Whitaker, and Rachel McAdams. This film was just mediocre as it’s filled with a lot of clichés despite the performances of three that I mentioned. It revolves around Gyllenhaal as this top boxer who is a champion but tragedy forces him to lose everything as he turns to Whitaker for help and get his title back as well as custody of his daughter. The boxing is alright but it’s just that the story lacks any real punch.

Ted 2



I liked the first film as I kind of knew the sequel wasn’t going to be as good but it was still pretty funny. Especially for the inclusion of Amanda Seyfried as a civil rights lawyer trying to get Ted his human rights despite the fact that he’s just a teddy bear that came to life. It does a lot of things that is a rehash of the first film while it also maintains its sense of fun. Even as Ted, Seyfried, and Mark Wahlberg have to deal with the creepy Giovanni Ribisi who wants revenge. It’s just a silly comedy that is just a lot of fun with a great opening credits sequence.

Sin City: A Dame to Kill For



I had been seeing this in scattered viewings but now having finally seen in its entirety. Yeah, this was definitely a major disappointment considering that so much is expected from Robert Rodriguez and Frank Miller. What happened is that neither of them do anything new visually while some of the stories they tell are total let downs. Mickey Rourke has a great opening sequence that is fun while still being the most interesting in the film as Marv while Eva Green gives one of the best performances in the film as Ava Lord in the titular story. It’s just a shame that everyone else such as Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Josh Brolin, and Rosario Dawson are unable to rise above the many shortcomings while the segment about Jessica Alba’s Nancy character is truly one of the weakest and most uninteresting as Alba’s performance is just horrible as it indicates that she’s just a pretty cock-tease who won’t show anything and has nothing to offer as an actress.

Top 10 Re-Watches:

1. From Russia with Love



2. The Ballad of Cable Hogue



3. Heaven's Gate



4. The U



5. My Blue Heaven



6. The Two Escobars



7. Dawn of the Planet of the Apes



8. Harry Potter & the Order of the Phoenix



9. Cloud Atlas



10. Frequency



Well, that is all for July 2016. I’m not sure if I’m going to see any theatrical releases as there’s been a lot of art films that just come and go after a week and the timing is wrong or I don’t have money at the moment. Other than a few films by Sam Peckinpah, Alejandro Jodorowsky, and the next subject of the Auteurs series in Jeff Nichols. Most of the films I’ll see will be based on my DVR list as well as a couple of DVDs that I recently purchased from the Barnes & Noble Criterion sale. As for the world of music, I don’t know anymore at this point as I might go into another hiatus as my list on Prince remains unfinished for the time being as I don’t know if I’ll complete it. Until then, this is thevoid99 signing off and hope that 2016 will be…. DELETED!!!!!



© thevoid99 2016

3 comments:

ruth said...

Wow, 37 films in which 24 are new to you are very good Steven! I don't think I'd top that, but I did rewatch quite a few things. I'm just about to post my monthly recap later tonight, and I'm glad I watched one of my Blindspot movie as I've skipped the last couple of months. That might be my fave of the month. Oh and I really like Dawn of the Planet of the Apes!

Dell said...

Outstanding month of viewing! Heavy on the westerns, I see. I need to do that, too. Gotta say I love The Two Escobars. It's an intriguing doc. ESPN has excelled at those over the last few years with a number of great ones. The U probably qualifies, but I haven't seen the whole thing, just yet. What I saw was marvelous.

thevoid99 said...

@ruth-It was a better month as I just took my time and watched whatever comes across me as well as films that I wanted to see.

@Wendell-I fucking love The U. It's pretty much one of my favorite 30 for 30 docs as I hope to do a marathon soon. Westerns are a must-see for anyone that loves cinema as it is the Great American genre. I hope to do a hell of a lot more soon as I'm working on a list of definitive westerns that is a WIP.