Thursday, December 29, 2016

Blog News: Blog Plans for 2017



2016 is coming to a close (thank God) and it's time to look ahead in what is likely to be a very chaotic year coming. This was overwhelming to say as I was barely able to get things done as 2017 will have not just scaling back a bit more but also slow things down a bit immensely. It's just me getting older and not wanting to overdo things but I also had the unfortunate of starting on projects where either I don't finish them or just scrapping it for good as some of it will never see the light of day. The only big project I have in mind at this point is for my music blog in the form of a special tribute to David Bowie for what would've been his 70th birthday on January 8. That is pretty much the only thing in the world of music that I'm likely going to write about as that blog will stay on but now only on rare occasions as I just don't have the desire to write about music anymore. I thought I did but circumstances beyond my control and waning enthusiasm has made the decision to just have the blog used rarely at this point.

In the world of film, that will still happen as it's the one thing I still care about and I probably want to surround myself with that more often considering the world we're about to embark in. Having fulfilled my 2016 Blind Spot Series and getting ready for the 2017 Blind Spot Series. I will definitely devote time to watching other films based on my DVR list which grows quite often lately. Along with films based on last year's edition of 1001 Films to See Before You Die, here is what I hope to do in 2017:

Watch more old-school films from filmmakers such as John Ford, Howard Hawks, Billy Wilder, William Wyler, and several others of the classic Hollywood period.

Watch more films from emerging or recently-hot filmmakers such as Denis Villeneuve, Kelly Reichardt, Damian Chazelle, and several others.

Participate in Wandering Through the Shelves weekly Thursday Movie Picks as a break from film reviewing.

Devote time to horror, westerns, and musicals as a way to get a more balanced view on genres.

Watch more B-movies and anything that isn't heavy or high-brow entertainment.

Finish long-gestating projects such as Twin Peaks and The Story of Film series.
That is all I'm going to do as I'm also going to do another Cannes marathon this coming May as well as take some time to watch more films on TV as I've become less comfortable watching movies on my laptop as it's getting older though still working despite a few issues. Then there's the Auteurs series as it will go on hiatus for much of 2017. It got overwhelming in the past few months as I was barely able to finish them as trying to find and watch the films from the filmmakers I wanted to do became a struggle. It took longer than it did as I was just barely able to get them done. I don't think I will ever do that again. From now on, I'll just take the time to watch a filmmaker's body of work and if I have the chance to finish that person's body of work. I'll just do the films and then write an Auteurs essay on them. For now, it's going on a break. That is pretty much all to say for what will happen in 2017 and let's just hope we all get through it.

© thevoid99 2016

6 comments:

Chris said...

I hope you have a good 2017. Denis Villeneuve is a talented filmmaker I am keen to explore as well, especially his early stuff and of course the Blade Runner sequel.

Anonymous said...

That still sounds pretty busy to me!
Happy new year.

ruth said...

I've enjoyed many of your posts in 2016, Steven! That's great that you've kept up w/ the Blind Spot series, I feel that I cannot commit to that anymore. But hey, I might participate more on those Thursday Movie Picks too, that's a fun blogathon series. Oh and I too want to see more of Denis Villeneuve's movies!

Here's to a more joyful and prosperous 2017… and beyond!

thevoid99 said...

@Chris-I hope you have one too as I'm eager to see what else Denis Villeneuve has done.

@assholeswatchingmovies.com-I hope it won't be as overwhelming as I just want some time to chill.

@ruth-I hope you have a good 2017 as well as we all need to survive and hope for the best.

Dell said...

Happy New Year! Love coming around this place as I always admire how deep you dive into the films you review. Really looking forward to what you have to say about horror, westerns, and B-movies. Hope you have a great 2017!

thevoid99 said...

@Wendell-I think at the end of the day. We just want to enjoy ourselves as I want to do more lowbrow just to balance the highbrow stuff as I saw that Gymkata will be playing on TCM this coming January as I think I'll review that.