Tuesday, December 26, 2017

Blog News: Blog Plans for 2018




2017 is about to come to an end as it has been a whirlwind of a year due to so much happening around the world. Surprisingly, I've managed to do a lot more than I expected to in the previous year as I also managed to slow things down despite a few setbacks. Having managed to take my time and not overwhelm myself, I want to keep going at this pace as well as slow things down more. It's very likely that I won't go for that elusive goal of watching 500 films in a year as that is just something I'm sure will never happen. Though I did do a tribute to David Bowie in celebration of his 70th birthday, I have made the decision to keep my music blog on board but it's going to remain dormant until I have the urge to write something in relation to Nine Inch Nails whenever a new full-length album and tour will emerge.

Film is pretty much my bread and butter as it's been the one thing I've focused on as there is so much I want to do. Yet, with the repeal of Net Neutrality that will block access to certain websites and probably torrents. It's going to be difficult to get access to certain films as I'm definitely relying on my DVR list on what will be on TV as well as my local library which has been a great resource to get recent films. With the 2017 Blind Spot Series fulfilled and the 2018 Blind Spot Series set to go as I have access to more than half of my choices. This is what I'm hoping to do for 2018:


Watch more films directed by women as they've made a great contribution in 2017.

Explore films outside of America from places such as South America, Africa, Southeast Asia, and Eastern Europe.

Catch up on recent films including films by previous Auteurs subjects.

Provide a balance of films of the past with films of recent years.

Do more short films by great filmmakers.


That is pretty much it as far as goals are concerned as I'm going for something more realistic instead of trying to attempt other things as I never got around to finish the second season Twin Peaks due to circumstances beyond my control which is why I didn't watch the new series. I also didn't get a chance to finish The Story of Film series as I had a review of some of the episodes partially done but that is gone now. I might do the latter but I'm still not sure if I'll get around to it. I will do another Cannes marathon in May as well as continue to contribute to the Thursday Movie Picks series as it's definitely given me a break from reviews.



After a year-long break that I felt was needed, the Auteurs series is finally going to return. In the past, I would often devote myself to one filmmaker a month or in an entire season. This time, I decided to scale back to something more reasonable to 8 filmmakers instead of 12. It's a number that I can do as it can give me a break to do other things as I'm seriously thinking about reviving the Favorite Film essay series as there's a list of films that I want to write about. Here are the 8 filmmakers I will be discussing for 2018 including two giants of cinema:


January/February-Adam McKay



March-Taika Waititi



April/May-Lucrecia Martel



June-John Cameron Mitchell



July-James Gray



August/September-Denis Villeneuve



September/October-Orson Welles



November/December-David Lean



That is all for what is ahead as I'm not sure what will happen in the new year as I just hope we survive it.

© thevoid99 2017

10 comments:

Brittani Burnham said...

I like your goals and may set a few of those for myself. Your Auteurs line up looks fantastic! I'm looking forward to reading those posts.

Dell said...

Glad you're coming back for another year. I'm particularly looking forward to your auteur entries for Villenueve and Welles.

Anonymous said...

I like the goals you have set yourself and I know you'll achieve them. I too want to watch more movies directed by women.

thevoid99 said...

@Brittani-I'm glad I decide to get back on board and this time do less just so I can have more time to do other things. I like to have goals.

@Wendell-Last year's Auteurs series nearly killed me as I needed a year off and I think from now on. Do 8-9 at the most for the year unless I'm doing someone like Kurosawa or Bergman which will take months.

@vinnieh-We need to do more films by women. They kicked ass this year.

Anonymous said...

Taika! Denis!
I'll be looking forward to them.
Happy 2018!

thevoid99 said...

@assholeswatchingmovies.com-Thanks. You too.

Chris said...

Those are some great auteurs, and hope you revive the Favorite Film essay series-as I'd like to read your defense of your all-time favories.

thevoid99 said...

@Chris-I hope I can get some essays written as it's something I've been wanting to do for a long time.

Alex Withrow said...

Love that the Auteurs series is coming back. And believe me, I get it. Those post are hard as hell and take so much time. Can't wait to read all of them.

thevoid99 said...

@Alex-I know. I needed the year-off. It became overwhelming by the end of 2016 as I knew I found myself realizing that I can't do another year like this.