Tuesday, January 01, 2019

The "Unofficial" Best Films of 2018 (Take One)



An interesting although somewhat underwhelming year in terms of the lack of new films I saw this year. It was still pretty good as 2018 did offer a lot. Yet with every year-end list, there are films you missed out on or haven't come out in theaters. Here are the following films of 2018 that I hope to catch up on: Roma, The House That Jack Built, Burning, Mandy, Tully, Deadpool 2, Vice, Mid90s, Mary, Queen of Scots, The Shoplifters, The Favourite, If Beale Street Could Talk, The Kindergarten Teacher, Blindspotting, Bad Times at the El Royale, Searching, Free Solo, RBG, Won't You Be My Neighbor?, Free Solo, Private Life, Three Identical Strangers, Killing, Galveston, Sorry to Bother You, Nancy, Destination Wedding, Knife + Heart, The Night Comes for Us, The Apostle, Damsel, Lizzie, In Fabric, The Shirkers, Gloria Bell, Support the Girls, Assassination Nation, Hold the Dark, Can You Ever Forgive Me?, Bleach, Colette, Teen Spirit, Boy Erased, Destroyer, Her Smell, Holiday, Firecrackers, Monsters and Men, Jeremiah Terminator Leroy, Her Smell, High Life, Birds of Passage, Sunset, Our Time, Peterloo, At Eternity's Gate, Leave no Trace, Capernaum, 3 Faces, Happy as Lazzaro, Girls of the Sun, The Man Who Killed Don Quixote, Wildlife, Pope Francis: A Man of His Word, The Sister Brothers, Ash is Purest White, Cold War, Everybody Knows, The Image Book, and Climax.

Now here are the best films of 2018 that I have seen so far:

1. Widows


2. Suspiria


3. BlackKklansman


4. First Man


5. Isle of Dogs


6. Avengers: Infinity War


7. Black Panther


8. Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse


9. Game Night


10. They'll Love Me When I'm Dead


11. The Other Side of the Wind


12. Vox Lux


13. The Ballad of Buster Scruggs


14. Bao


15. Annihilation


16. Jane Fonda in Five Acts


17. The Incredibles 2


18. Ant Man & the Wasp


19. Andre the Giant


20. Blockers


21. Still on the Run: The Jeff Beck Story


22. Team Darryl


Honorable Mentions: The Oslo Diaries, Always at the Carlyle, & Solo: A Star Wars Story.

Worst Films of 2018 so far: Billionaire Boys Club, Red Sparrow,Rampage, & Pacific Rim: Uprising.

© thevoid99 2019

5 comments:

Brittani Burnham said...

A few of these are going to be on my list as well. I really want to see Vice, Beale Street, Vox Lux and Burning. Hopefully I can get to those within the next month.

TheVern said...

I'm glad to see Vox Lux on your list. I know that is a movie that I need to revisit to really understand it fully. Also glad to see Suspiria and Annihilation on your list too. I hope you have a great 2019

thevoid99 said...

@Brittani-I hope you do as I would like to read your take on Vox Lux.

@TheVern-You too. I'm just glad I saw some good films.

Chris said...

I liked Suspiria and Annihilation. Once you dig into the ’yet to watch’ picks I think we will have more films in common. I loved Burning which is top 5 for me. I’ve read mixed things about the soundtrack for Vox Lux-I’m curious to see it anyway as a music fan and for Portman’s performance.

thevoid99 said...

@Chris-Vox Lux is an interesting film as Natalie completely killed it as she's playing a character I didn't think I would see her do and she is at times an extremely unlikeable person. I didn't think she had it in her to do that. PO'TMAN MOTHAFUCKA! I want her to do more stuff like that.