Thursday, October 31, 2019

Films That I Saw: October 2019





Impeachment is coming and it is kind of exciting but I’m also wary of what is to come. Still, there is a lot of things that are happening around the world as things in Britain are a mess while the idea that ISIS is done for some reason doesn’t feel right. Even as El Pendejo claims victory yet I’m always thinking that it’s not over yet as there’s some bad shit that is to come. It’s gotten weird as I’ve been focused mainly on helping my mom take care of my nephew in the day time and do other things while I’ve been able to sort of get back on board in watching films again regularly. At the same time, I’ve just started work on a big project that I will unveil in a few days as it started off as a response over comments made by a few revered filmmakers on the Marvel Cinematic Universe.


In the month of October, I saw a total of 31 films in 16 first-timers and 15 re-watches as it is an improvement of sorts over the past few months as I was able to see a lot of films this month as the highlight of the month has been my Blind Spot assignment in My Neighbor Totoro. Here are my top 10 first-timers that I saw for October 2019:

1. The House That Jack Built


2. Bad Times at the El Royale


3. Diego Maradona


4. Kuroneko


5. The Lighthouse


6. The 39 Steps


7. Halloween


8. The Face of Another


9. Pitfall


10. Joker


Monthly Mini-Reviews

Night School


Kevin Hart is usually a miss for me on a lot of films including this one where he spends a lot of the time whining, screaming loud, and trying to be the center of attention which is essentially a lot of what he does as a midget. Yet, the film manages to be watchable thanks in part to its ensemble cast including Rob Riggle, Mary Lynn Rajskub, Keith David, and Anne Winters. The film’s MVP is Tiffany Haddish who proves that not only is she funny but she is also a great straight woman who knows when to be funny but also knows how to be serious as the film would’ve been a disaster without her.

Happy Death Day 2U


I like sequels that don’t take themselves seriously as this film did that and more with its premise of re-living one’s death every day as it does explain how Jessica Rothe’s character was able to re-live her death day in the previous film. The sequel is emphasized more on comedy than its predecessor yet it also manages to do more with the ensemble as Phi Vu and Rachel Matthews in their respective roles with the latter as Danielle being a standout in how funny she is. It’s also got character development and moments that are playful and fun as it’s definitely worth watching and proof of how to do horror-comedy right.

Finding Dory


I had hope to see this much later but during a day where my mom and I were taking care of my nephew, we ended up watching this film in its entirety on the Disney Channel and it was really awesome. It’s a film that is an exploration of family where Dory begins to have memories about her own parents as she is eager to find them with Marlin and Nemo helping her out. It is a gorgeous film but it’s also really touching which is often expected from Pixar. My mother liked it yet my nephew was enamored with the imagery of it.

Top 10 Re-Watches:

1. In the Mood for Love



2. The Babadook


3. It’s the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown


4. Hail, Caesar!


5. Nowhere Boy


6. Toy Story of Terror!


7. Happy Death Day


8. Harlem Nights


9. Addams Family Values


10. Tales from the Hood


Well, that is all for October. Next month, I will be getting back to regular movie-watching based on the never-ending DVR list including a film by Alfred Hitchcock I hadn’t had the time to watch as a late entry to the world of horror. Along with possible theatrical viewings for Parasite, Jojo Rabbit, and Knives Out, I hope to also watch films that are coming out on Netflix and other things in my laptop that I haven’t watched. I will also make an announcement of my MCU project which has already gotten started as I’ve written some stuff for the first part already. Until then, this is thevoid99 signing off and hope everyone has a Happy Halloween…

© thevoid99 2019

5 comments:

Often Off Topic said...

I still can't believe I avoided Happy Death Day for so long, it was so much better than it had any right to be, and I think the sequel is somehow even better!
Sounds like you've got some interesting things on the horizon :)

Brittani Burnham said...

I think I like Finding Dory more than Finding Nemo. I Just really dug it.

Thanks for including that beautiful photo of Hemsworth lol

thevoid99 said...

@Often Off Topic-I was very skeptical about that film but then I saw it and ended up enjoying it way more than I expected it to be. The sequel isn't as good as its predecessor but it is still so fun to watch and I also appreciate the fact that both films never take themselves seriously. I would totally be on board for a third film.

@Brittani-It was better than I thought it would be yet I think my enjoyment of it was heightened by the fact that my nephew liked it as well. I have to include that pic, Chris Hemsworth is gorgeous and so cool. I will never hear "Hush" the same way after seeing that film.

Chris said...

Looks like you managed to fit in some good Halloween short films!

thevoid99 said...

@Chris-Those shorts are traditions to watch. How can anyone enjoy Halloween and not watch those shorts?