Tuesday, December 31, 2019

Films That I Saw: December 2019



2019 is almost over and thank God it’s going to be over. While there is joy over the fact that Cum-bucket-Cunt-fuck-douchebag-white trash motherfucker has been impeached by the House of Representatives. It’s a joy that isn’t going to last as it’s just the first step of something that might not even come considering how divided the U.S. government is and the fact that the Senate is unlikely to get IMPOTUS out of the White House as it is known in how corrupt the government is. Just as long as they get paid up front, they’ll do whatever their dictator will say. It’s going to take some miracle to get shit-brain out of the White House and in prison. Of course next year is an election year but honestly, do you think one person’s vote will really matter knowing that it can be bought? Don’t tell me to vote, voting is for suckers.


In the month of December 2019, I saw a total of 24 films in 10 first-timers and 14 re-watches as two of those first-timers were films directed by women as part of the 52 Films by Women pledge. A bit of a downer considering the fact that I’m suffering from the flu and one of my mother’s relatives is over for the holidays as I have to drive them around to places. The highlight of the month has definitely been my Blind Spot assignment in Shoah. Here are the top 5 first-timers that I saw for December 2019:

1. Marriage Story


2. Knives Out


3. Little Women


4. Manila in the Claws of Light


5. The Tribes of Palos Verdes


Monthly Mini-Reviews

Sanjay’s Super Team


One of the few things on Disney+ that I saw as my mother got a new iPad for her birthday as we watched a few things on the app with my nephew who loves Winnie the Pooh as I always wanted to see this short. Man, it was better than I thought it would be as it’s about a kid who loves watching superheroes but has a hard time understanding his father’s traditions. Yet, it is a story full of imagination but also how two different worlds can come together as it is a touching story that manages to be more than just entertaining but also enlightening as Mateo enjoyed it as well.

Men in Black: International


I’m probably in the minority with this film as I actually kind of enjoyed it as I wasn’t fond of the previous two films. Mainly as I really liked the chemistry between Chris Hemsworth and Tessa Thompson as they were fun to watch as the former is a veteran who is lost while the latter is a recruit-on-probation having seen aliens when she was a kid. It is all over the place but it is also kind of fun with Kumail Nanjani as an alien who helps them while there is also some intrigue and such from the appearances of Rebecca Ferguson and Liam Neeson. It’s a film that doesn’t take itself seriously as I wouldn’t mind watching it again.

Little


This was actually pretty funny as it is a fun take on the body-swapping concept though it’s more about a CEO tech who is mean and rude to everyone until she angers a child who puts a curse on her and the tech becomes a child. Though it’s a premise that’s been done before, it is the performance of Marsai Martin that makes it a joy to watch along with some strong supporting work from Issa Rae as the tech’s assistant. It’s a film that never takes itself seriously as well as find ways to be funny and heartfelt.

Top 10 Re-Watches

1. Dr. Strangelove or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb


2. Guardians of the Galaxy


3. Z Channel: A Magnificent Obsession


4. About Schmidt


5. 8 Mile


6. The Fugitive


7. The Falcon and the Snowman


8. Crossfire Hurricane


9. The Sound of Music


10. Summer Rental


That is all for December as I will post a year-end post later in the day. Coming in January, I hope to catch up on some 2019 films as A Hidden Life is the film I’m most eager to see while I have some films in my never-ending DVR list like John Wick Chapter 3: Parabellum, Longshot, and Shazam! as part of that list. I will also finish up on the MCU is Cinema project as I’m about to get started on the fourth part while it’s likely I’ll go back to work on my Auteurs piece on Kelly Reichardt after I finish the MCU series. Until then, this is thevoid99 signing off…

© thevoid99 2019

2 comments:

Tom said...

I would be interested in reading your summary of Marriage Story if you will be posting on it. I hear good things about it, but I'm not sure if I'd want to watch it. Also, Uncut Gems looks interesting; I may go see that tomorrow.

thevoid99 said...

@Tom-I already have a review finished as I was to post it yesterday but I decided to post it in the New Year.