Wednesday, May 31, 2023

Films That I Saw: May 2023

 

Summer is coming and things have gotten crazy here in the U.S. and around the world with inflation getting out of control with the U.S. dealing all of this financial shit. Florida has become a bigger shithole in banning all sorts of things while going into war against Disney. It’s a good thing I haven’t traveled in nearly 20 years and Florida is the last place I would go to unless something really bad happens to Ron DeSantis and Florida no longer becomes a red state full of idiots. I want my niece and nephew to go to Walt Disney World real soon as my sisters and I did years ago when we were kids. It is a place full of fun and Orlando was really nice back then despite the fact that Floridian drivers are fucking shit and there was another mass shooting in Hollywood, Florida though fortunately no one has died.

This year’s Cannes Film Festival was pretty good as there was a lot of films that premiered though I’m really getting tired of protestors who are upset over the appearance of Johnny Depp who was there to promote his part in Maiwenn’s new film Jeanne du Barry which received mixed reviews. Don’t these protesters have anything else to do than bitch about his and that? I can understand if revolves around something much more serious with Ukraine but going after someone who had been found innocent over domestic abuse charges after being fucked over by a corrupt system in Britain isn’t the way to go. Yet, it was just Johnny Depp who got into some trouble as his daughter Lily-Rose also gained controversy for her part in the upcoming HBO limited TV series The Idol by Sam Levinson and co-starring Abel “The Weeknd” Tesfaye as the show has gotten a massive reaction that is polarizing over how outrageous it is.

Overall, the coverage of the festival has been good as I want to give a shout-out to the people at the Film Experience for their coverage on the festival. Yet, they also did some reporting on films that they weren’t able to see including a film in Close Your Eyes which is the first feature-length film by Victor Erice in more than 30 years that didn’t get a lot of coverage because it played at a smaller out of competition section despite some excellent reviews from the few critics that saw the film. The fact that Erice got dissed by festival programmer Thierry Fremeaux like that is proof that there’s some political scheming going on in the festival and it needs stop if anyone else plans on going to Cannes.
I’m happy for the buzz for films such as Martin Scorsese’s Killers of the Flower Moon, Wes Anderson’s Asteroid City, Todd Haynes’ May December, Hirokau Kore-eda’s Monster, Nuri Bilge Ceylan’s About Dry Grasses, and Aki Kaurismaki’s Fallen Leaves while there are films from the Un Certain Regard section in Warwick Thornton’s The New Boy and the section’s winner in How to Have Sex by Molly Manning Walker that has me interested. Yet, there’s 2 films that have me interested in what is coming such as Jonathan Glazer’s Holocaust film The Zone of Interest about Rudolf Hoss’ time as the commandant for Auschwitz while he and his wife build a dream home next to the camp as the film won several prizes including the 2nd place Grand Jury prize. That film starred Sandra Huller who also appears in another big film that would win the Palme d’Or in Justine Triet’s Anatomy of a Fall which is courtroom drama relating to a woman accused of killing her husband similar to her works as a novelist. Having seen a couple of clips of the film, it looks something really intriguing as I’d like to see a lot of these films that have played at this year’s festival.
In the month of May 2023, I saw a total of 10 films in 7 first-timers and 3 re-watches with only one film that I saw as part of the 52 Films by Women pledge. Definitely low mainly due to the fact that I spent a lot of time with my niece and nephew as the latter had a couple of unfortunate incidents in school in which a student bitten him twice. The first time was his arm and the second time was his face as I got really pissed off about that and I wanted to beat the fuck out of that other kid’s parents. Mateo’s father wanted to do the same as poor Mateo had a bad time in pre-school while he also got sick with the flu as I had little time to watch films. A highlight of the month is in my Blind Spot film in La Haine. Here are the top 5 first-timers that I saw for May 2023:

1. Atlantics
2. Gimme Danger
3. Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3
4. Orchestra Rehearsal
5. Maggie Simpson in “Rogue Not Quite One”
Monthly Mini-Reviews/What Else I’m Watching

Maggie Simpson in “Rogue Not Quite One”
A short made for Star Wars day on Disney+ involves Maggie Simpson taking Grogu’s pram where she gets herself in trouble due to the fact that Homer left her as he went to Moe’s Cantina where he was eaten by a monster. It is a fun short as Maggie Simpson never disappoints though it also reminds me why I haven’t watched the series in a long time.

Pooh’s Grand Adventure: The Search for Christopher Robin
A film on Disney+ that my niece and nephew watch a lot as I would watch it with them as this direct-to-video film that revolves around Pooh, Piglet, Tigger, Eeyore, and Rabbit going on a search for Christopher Robin whom they believe had been kidnapped due to Owl’s illiteracy. While it is a film that has some amazing animation and some gorgeous set pieces, it is just a mediocre film overall though the kids enjoy it because they love Winnie the Pooh as both Mateo and Adalina each have a Pooh bear they sleep with.

Ted Lasso (season 3, episodes 8-12)
If this is really the final season of the show, then what a show this is as I’m going to miss all of these characters. The last third definitely saw AFC Richmond not only win a lot of games and become the best version of themselves as a team. It also showed a team not only adapting Total Football with elements of Tiki-taka that Pep Guardiola used to help Barcelona dominate in the late 2000s in La Liga as Guardiola makes a cameo appearance as himself in the penultimate episode of the season. The last episodes definitely showcased not just great character arcs for Nate, Keeley, Roy, Jamie, and Rebecca but also things that are touched upon in the world of football such as super leagues which is presented by a guest appearance from Sam Richardson reprising his role as Edwin Akufo who remains this man-child that can’t take no for an answer.

The finale is definitely a great way to end the series with Nate finally returning to Richmond where he makes amends with Ted over what happened in the previous season while is starting to have a life of his own that makes him happy. Roy is starting to make changes for himself as he starts to embrace a few things and finds a real friend in Jamie who also overcomes his own insecurities. The final game is nerve-wracking but in a fun way with West Ham’s owner Rupert Mannion having a fucking meltdown that just tops all of the awful shit he is dealing with as his inability to keep his dick out of his pants has finally caught up with him. To see him leave the AFC Richmond stadium in fucking shame was just beautiful. If this is really the final season, then it is a show that will be missed as I’m glad I discovered though I wished my dad was alive to see this as he would’ve loved this show.

Suntory Whiskey 100



In celebration of the 100th anniversary of Suntory Whiskey, Sofia Coppola creates a commercial starring Keanu Reeves who visits Japan to drink with some friends as the commercial features clips from older commercials. One starring Reeves from the 1990s but also commercials featuring Matt Dillon, Sofia’s father Francis Ford Coppola with Akira Kurosawa, Japanese film stars, Ray Charles, and Sammy Davis Jr. All to the tune of Joan Jett and the Blackhearts’ cover of Tommy James and the Shondells’ Crimson & Clover. I don’t drink alcohol and likely never will but… I would like to try Suntory Whiskey. After all, for relaxing times. Make it Suntory time.

Wrestling Match of the Month: Bad Bunny vs. Damien Priest in a San Juan Street Fight – WWE Backlash – 5/6/23



Despite the fact that WWE’s product has returned to its malaise and messy drama due to the return of Vincenzo, there have been some bright spots as WWE Backlash was held in San Juan, Puerto Rico to a crowd that really made the show fun to watch. A hot and lively crowd can boost a show no matter how bad the card can be yet the show was able to have some standout matches such as the WWE RAW Women’s Championship match between Bianca Belair against Iyo Sky. Yet, the match of the night belonged to music superstar Bad Bunny challenging Damien Priest to a street fight in San Juan. While I much prefer watching technical-based matches, there are moments where I don’t want to watch something that takes itself seriously. This match with an untrained performer going against a veteran pro ended up being way better than I thought it would be as it was just downright entertaining from start to finish. Notably as it involved interference from LwO and the Judgement Day helping out Bunny and Priest respectively but Bunny got additional help from two of Puerto Rico’s living legends in Savio Vega and Carlito!

Professional wrestling doesn’t have to be rocket science nor does it have to be some technical-based masterpiece. The best wrestling involves just sheer excitement and everyone having fun with the crowd going nuts over what they see. It is sports entertainment done right as AEW would do things like this involving the Hardyz in their own match at the Hardy Compound against the Firm in the Firm Deletion match. This is what makes professional wrestling fun and accessible to everyone. Just don’t tell that to Billy Corgan who continues to push some immobile fat-fuck bigot in Tyrus as the NWA World Heavyweight Champion. Corgan recently stated that if anyone doesn’t like Tyrus, they don’t like professional wrestling. OK Billy, bye! By the way, the new Pumpkins album is a fucking bore!

Top 3 Re-Watches

1. Luca
2. Dumbo
3. Frozen Fever
Well, that is all for May. Next month, I hope to watch new theatrical releases in Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse and Asteroid City while there are films that I had hoped to watch for my Cannes marathon will continue in a different way including a few Palme d’Or winners along with other films I run into whenever I have the time with John Waters’ Polyester being the Blind Spot for June. The only other thing next month that I hope to see is the Cure coming to the State Farm Arena as I haven’t seen them live since 2000. Before I leave, I want to express my condolences to those that have passed this month such as American football legend/actor Jim Brown, Canadian folk legend Gordon Lightfoot, Andy Rourke of the Smiths, Peter Simonischek, composer Bill Lee, Ray Stevenson, novelist Martin Amis, Cream lyricist Pete Brown, Helmut Berger, Algy Ward of the Damned, and the Queen of Rock N’ Roll… Tina Turner. We will miss you Tina Turner.



© thevoid99 2023

5 comments:

SJHoneywell said...

I fucking love Ted Lasso.

There's a part of me that hopes that it spins off into a bunch of other shows--I'd love a show where Leslie Higgins plays a regular role, and Roy Kent is my favorite television character probably ever.

Jesus, what a great fucking show. And so there's also a part of me that hopes it's done and ends this way, with everyone wanting more, the shark unjumped. There are stories left to tell here, but there is also closure all the way around.

Brittani Burnham said...

The Film Experience always knocks it out of the park with their coverage. I loved it. I'm going to miss the Ted Lasso characters too, but I didn't care for the finale as a whole. I selfishly wanted Ted and Rebecca to get together.

thevoid99 said...

@SJ Honeywell-I love this show as it's going to be in my top 10/top 5 of all-time favorite shows along with Married... with Children and The Sopranos. I love all of those characters except for Rupert, Shandy, and Akufo as they're just awful people. I would've loved to know what happens to them. I was hoping Sam would get a bit of revenge on Akufo and his assistant by doing that false handshake. As for Rupert, I'd like to think his ending is this. He hooks up with Shandy in funding her own stupid app that loses money and he dies of a heart attack while having sex with her. Realizing that he has no more money since he owes a lot of alimony to Bex and their daughter. Shandy ends up working at some strip club in an ugly part of Britain.

@Brittani-I prefer Ted and Rebecca as friends though that first scene in the finale had me thinking "oh shit!" but then Beard comes in with the thong and I was like "Rebecca you freak!" Then Jane came in and I was like "oh damn... you assholes! Why y'all didn't invite me?!" Thankfully, none of that happened though I would've love to see what Beard and Jane was doing.

ruth said...

I'm very curious about Killers of the Flower Moon from what I've read from Cannes now but holy buckets, that thing is 3 hours long! I sure hope Lily Gladstone gets more roles after that movie.

Glad you finally saw Atlantics and yes, the Ted Lasso final season was amazing (apart from the 'Keely-Jack storyline) and that final episode had me bawling! I'm glad Rebecca met that Dutch guy again in the end, awww!

thevoid99 said...

@ruth-3 hour long films ain't nothing as long as it's worth the length. I didn't mind the Keeley-Jack storyline since it served a purpose for Keeley to realize what she needs as well as grow into this businesswoman while I'm so happy for Rebecca. I love the fact that in the final episode, she sees Rupert and was like... "eh..." She had moved on knowing that he already made things worse for himself.