Wednesday, December 01, 2021

2022 Blind Spot Series Announcement

 

Another year is coming to an end and this one was difficult though it is likely to be harder considering that there's a lot of films that I wanted to see but I have no access to with torrents no longer becoming an option at this point. With this year's Blind Spot Series set to end with Sergei Bondarchuk's near-7 hour epic take on Leo Tolstoy's War and Peace. The time has come to get ready for what is to come in the new year despite the threat of a new COVID variant as it is clear the pandemic isn't over and we need to be ready. For the 2022 Blind Spot Series, I hope to never go through another snafu like what happened this past summer where I was forced to delete my illegally-downloaded copy of Werckmeister Harmonies and then watch it on YouTube for free but with a score that wasn't in the final film. My choices this time around are all based on films that I have purchased on DVD/Blu-Ray as well as films I hope to purchase on DVD/Blu-Ray. My choices aren't just based on availability but also films that are diverse in genre but also in the time period as I also wanted to go into different places around the world but also do films by great filmmakers that I am enjoying but also some I haven't discovered as all of these films are from the Criterion Collection. Here are the films for the 2002 Blind Spot Series in chronological order:

Westfront 1918 by G.W. Pabst

Bringing Up Baby by Howard Hawks

The Bigamist by Ida Lupino

Devi by Satyajit Ray

Mandabi by Ousmane Sembene

Army of Shadows by Jean-Pierre Melville

The Merchant of Four Seasons by Rainer Werner Fassbinder

Celine and Julie Go Boating by Jacques Rivette

Boat People by Ann Hui

Dreams by Akira Kurosawa

Flowers of Shanghai by Hou Hsiao-Hsien

Letters from Fontainhas Trilogy (Ossos - In Vanda's Room - Colossal Youth) by Pedro Costa

© thevoid99 2021

1 comment:

Brittani Burnham said...

I need to finalize mine. I have way more than 12 movies on my list right now. I've only seen Bringing Up Baby from your picks, which I liked. I hope you do too!