Monday, July 25, 2011

Blog News 7/25/11 & Blogging Around


With my essay for Ghost World now out and completed. It seems like I have another idea that I will try too every once in a while. It's amazing that over a year ago, I left Epinions.com under awful circumstances amidst my own personal issues as I decided to go blogging. Now, I feel more confident and more relaxed as a writer. I don't have to rush anything or deal with competitors. Worry about if this review is good enough or whatever. There was a lot of pressure to get people to read these reviews and be rated at the site. Unfortunately, having seen what it's become, I'm glad I've left as I'm deleting old reviews that I'm not satisfied with while taking other old reviews and moving them to here and my other blog at The Void-Go-Round.

At The Void-Go-Round, I've been writing a lot of reviews of albums by the Cure as it's gotten easier now for me write them again. I'm taking it a bit slow but it's been very helpful for me to do something different from the world of films. I'm going to take a break from doing albums from the Cure by re-posting and re-editing some old reviews of albums by some shoegaze bands like Slowdive, Ride, and Chapterhouse along with other acts. This can give me a bit of break so I can work on other projects. After I finish the Cure, I'll do reviews of acts like Suede, Talk Talk, Blur, and many others that interest me at the moment while I'm still working my 1991-20 project.

Among my other projects along with my own screenplay, that isn't going well since I'm stuck at the moment, are my Auteurs essays. I'm getting ready to post my reviews of films by Gus Van Sant in preparation for the fourth part of my Auteurs series. I've been going back and forth about who should I do next as I wanted to do either David Fincher and Whit Stilman. The problem is that with Fincher, there's a lot of work in his music video career that I wanted to explore and that was going to take a lot of time as I'm going to work on Fincher much later. With Stilman, I was set to start writing and watch Metropolitan. Then, I lose the Sundance Channel from my satellite package where it would require extra money to pay to see that channel. Since I don't have the money to obtain his films on DVD right now because I want to do more than watch the film. I'm going hold off on that for now.

Alexander Payne is the one filmmaker that is now inching to be the fifth subject of my Auteurs series as I hope to profile him around the time his new film The Descendants is out. He's a filmmaker I'm pretty familiar with as I've seen all of his feature films along with a short. Lynne Ramsay is another potential subject I want to do now that I've obtained the Criterion DVD to Ratcatcher as her new film We Need to Talk about Kevin is coming this fall. Those are what is set for the 2011 as I've already decided on who should I do for 2012. I plan to profile Alfonso Cuaron, Guillermo del Toro, and Quentin Tarantino as they're going to have new releases in 2012. That's what is ahead as I'm trying to catch up on the myriad of films I've DVRed for the past few months along with some DVD purchases.

In the world of the blogosphere, there is a lot happening that people should check out.

James @ Cinema Sights has a great piece about rating films which he doesn't do nor do I. A lot of what he says is true as my own feelings about a film tends to change sometimes and rating them often confuses me.

Bill @ Bill's Movie Emporium reveals his pick of his favorite films from his Western Marathon.

Sasha & Final Girl Project takes a look at one of my favorite films growing up in the 1980s in Just One of the Guys.

Marshall @ Marshall & the Movies has a great review of a movie that I love and I'm sure a lot of people love in Galaxy Quest.

Dan @ Dan the Man's Movie Review has a exciting review of Black Dynamite that is fun to read.

Alex @ Film Forager has a great review of what is one of my favorites movie ever in La Dolce Vita.

Jake @ Not Just Movies has been exploring the films of Brian de Palma as one of the highlights of his de Palma marathon is one of my favorite films of de Palma in Carlito's Way

Andy @ Andy Buckle's Film Emporium has a review of The Double Life of Veronique that is just amazing. If anyone doesn't think Irene Jacob is gorgeous, I will fight you.

Finally, there's a new blog I'm following at Cinematic Paradox as Stevee has a fantastic review of my all-time favorite film Lost in Translation.

Well, that's it for now. No more Zack Ryder posts as I don't want to freak anyone out for those who aren't pro wrestling fans nor know anything about pro wrestling. Besides as cool as Ryder is (in a cheesy way), he's not as cool as CM Punk who is truly the hottest wrestler right now. He is the best on the mic, he can cut a promo like no one right now, he's got all the movies, and a whole lot of attitude. Plus, no one can own anyone or anything better than him. So to the city of Chicago, thank you for making Money in the Bank one of the best WWE pay-per-views in years.

6 comments:

Stevee Taylor said...

Awwww, thanks for the link :)

thevoid99 said...

You're welcome Stevee.

Unknown said...

I'm looking forward to your post on Gus Van Sant. A director who I find fault with as much as I admire.

thevoid99 said...

Thanks. I'll try and post my old reviews of his films in a couple of weeks.

Andy Buckle said...

Huge thanks for the link, my friend! Irene Jacob is amazing! I'll fight alongside haha.

thevoid99 said...

You're welcome Andy.