Thursday, January 01, 2015

The "Unofficial" Best Films of 2014



Now that 2014 has officially ended, it's time to list the best films of the year. Yet, this won't be an official list since there's so many other 2014 releases that I haven't seen as some of them I hope to watch during Oscar season as well as the rest of the year. Here are the following films that I hope to see that came out in 2014: Whiplash, Selma, Inherent Vice, Leviathan, Mommy, Time Out of Mind, Dear White People, Mr. Turner, American Sniper, Captain America: The Winter Soldier, The Babadook, Predestination, Jimmy's Hall, The Look of Silence, A Most Violent Year, Begin Again, Obvious Child, Force Majeure, Citizen Four, and Beyond the Lights.

Here are the "Unofficial" Best Films of 2014:

1. Gone Girl


2. Boyhood


3. Birdman (or the Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance)


4. Two Days, One Night


5. Foxcatcher


6. Life Itself


7. The Grand Budapest Hotel


8. Frank


9. The Raid 2: Berandal


10. The Lego Movie


11. Nightcrawler


12. Chef


13. Maps to the Stars


14. Interstellar


15. X-Men: Days of Future Past


16. Dawn of the Planet of the Apes


17. The Skeleton Twins


18. Noah


19. Neighbors


20. 22 Jump Street


21. Muppets Most Wanted


22. The Interview


Honorable Mentions: Party Central and Lucy

Dud: The Monuments Men

& the Shit Films: Winter's Tale & The Amazing Spider-Man 2

© thevoid99 2015

10 comments:

Dan said...

I liked Gone Girl, but it was tough because I'd read the book just a month earlier. It was hard for me to get a good read on how much that impacted my enjoyment of the movie. Fincher did a solid job, and the acting was very good. I still have a lot to see this year but will be putting together my list next week. I'm waiting to at least see Boyhood on VOD.

thevoid99 said...

I'm one of these people that prefers to keep the book and the film as completely different ideas. My year-end lists are never final because of all the films I've missed out as Inherent Vice is coming next Friday, hopefully in Atlanta as it's the one I want to see the most.

Brittani Burnham said...

It makes me happy to see The Monuments Men as one of the worst, because it's on my shit list too. lol

Anonymous said...

So much greatness here! Gone Girl at number 1 is amazing...but Boyhood? Gross.

:-P

s. said...

YEY, we share so many picks! Awesome to see so many comedies here, especially Neighbors and The Interview. Gone Girl is still my #1 but I have high hopes for Whiplash and Birdman

thevoid99 said...

@Brittani-I saw it again last month to see if it holds up and... it hasn't so it's a dud but not one of the worst films of 2014.

@Fisti-You didn't like Boyhood? You make me sad :(

@Sati-I hope to see Whiplash as well as I'm waiting to see if a screener of the film has leaked.

Anonymous said...

I'm glad to see Gone Girl trumped Boyhood since Boyhood is making everyones #1 slot. Great list!

thevoid99 said...

@onthescreenreviews-Boyhood to me is a rare cinematic experience as it would've been number 1 but I just loved Gone Girl even more.

ruth said...

We share a few movies on the top 10 list, I was debating whether I want to include The Lego Movie or How To Train Your Dragon 2 but ended up w/ The Lego Movie by a slight margin.

thevoid99 said...

@ruth-The Lego Movie was an easy choice to put in the top 10 because I just love the hell out of it.