Monday, February 28, 2022

Films That I Saw: February 2022

 

Well, this year went from shit to the growing possibility of being completely fucked in the idea that World War III could really happen. This past Wednesday is a day I’m sure many aren’t going to forget as the world watches Vladimir Putin sending the Russian army to invade Ukraine over pieces of disputed land and then take over the whole country. What happens when he decides to go into other countries? That’s the big question and I hope I don’t have to answer nor does anyone else. It is disheartening to watch that a country is being invaded with many of its citizens fleeing including the elderly, the mentally ill, women, and children trying to survive while there are those who are staying in the country to fight. People so far have died though I’m hope it’s not in vain like those 13 people in a small island who told a Russian warship to go fuck themselves as they fought to the death. The fact even Putin’s own home country didn’t want this and want Putin gone as it is clear we’re living in some serious dark times.

Times are tough as there’s a pandemic happening with more stupid people bringing more harm than good as it’s hard to escape from all of this. The fact that what is happening in Europe now is even scary, it is more frightening to know that here in the U.S. There are those that aren’t just supporting Putin’s actions but also there are those who believe that this invasion is a fake as I just can’t stand these fucking imbeciles. They can cheer for their dumbass dictator all they want as he takes it up the ass from Putin yet when Putin gets his ass kicked as does his bitch El Pendejo and his other fat, tubby bitch Steven Seagal is concerned. Maybe we should kick their asses as well for fucking with our lives as well as these idiotic anti-vaxxers who threaten the safety of others because of their own bullshit.
In the month of February 2022, I saw a total of 25 films in 15 first-timers and 10 re-watches with 8 of the first-timers being films directed or co-directed by women as part of the 52 Films by Women pledge. Not bad as far as first-timers are concerned as well as the number of films by women I watched this month. The big highlight of the month has been my Blind Spot film in Mandabi. Here are the top 10 first-timers that I saw for February 2022:

1. Promising Young Woman
2. Kajillionaire
3. On the Rocks
4. Encanto
5. Songs My Brothers Taught Me
6. Middle of Nowhere
7. Affairs of the Art
8. Life is But a Dream
9. Incident by the Bank
10. Tenet
Monthly Mini-Review/What Else I’m Watching

The Tuck Rule
From the 30 to 30 is an episode about January 2002 NFL playoff game between the New England Patriots vs. the Oakland Raiders where it is a game about a rule that definitely played into the fates of two former Michigan teammates in Tom Brady and Charles Woodson as they talk about the game in the former’s mansion. What happened during this game was that there was a fumble but the referee claimed that it wasn’t as it allowed the Patriots to not only win the game but also begin this dynasty period with Brady as its face. It is definitely a special that does play into these fates but also what happened though Woodson still remains successful and doesn’t harbor any hard feelings towards Brady as they just talked to each other like old friends.

Affairs of the Art





One of the nominees for Best Animated Shorts in the Oscars is a film from Joanna Quinn revolves around a woman who is an artist but never managed to break through as it is animated in a crude hand-drawn animated style. It plays into this woman’s desire to be an artist as well as what she wanted to create ever since she was a kid. It is truly incredible from start to finish as it is something that is a must-see as I need to give a shout-out for Brittani for praising this short and allowing me to seek it out.

ASSEMBLED: The Making of Hawkeye
Part of the Marvel making-of documentary series that began last year with Wandavision, the one on Hawkeye definitely explore what it took to develop as cast and crew members are interviewed. They also discuss the search of trying to find the right person to play Echo and how Alaqua Cox got the casting call. They also explore the emphasis on stunt work and how they kept things secretive as it’s a documentary series that fans of Marvel need to watch.

Encanto
A film that my niece and nephew have been watching a lot on Disney+ is a film that has been really popular in the movie theaters and at home as I watched this one night with the kids. It is an incredibly rich film that is about a family in Colombia who all have magical powers except for one girl who notices that their house is crumbling as she wants to know why. It is a film that has these great songs written by Lin Manuel-Miranda and also a lot of heart as it is also about identity and being that true self. It has a great voice ensemble cast and gorgeous visuals as I’m glad this is available on streaming services and it’s something that my niece and nephew love.

Incident by the Bank
One of two short films that I watched from my MUBI subscription as the first one by Ruben Ostlund is about a real-life bank robbery in Sweden as it is shot entirely on one-take as if it was a security camera where it would zoom into one thing and then zoom out to show the whole thing. It is a darkly-comical short film that showcase what these bank robbers tried to do and all of these people watching outside of the bank as they comment on all of the absurdity.

Life is But a Dream





While it is largely a promotion for the new Apple iPhone that is coming, Chan-wook Park’s short film as it is a period film where an undertaker digs a grave to find wood to finish a coffin where a ghost from that grave confronts him. The undertaker then tells a story about the coffin he’s building for as that ghost would confront the other ghost as it is a short filled with humor but also some stylish action and such. It is also a lot of fun as it play into the idea of death and the afterlife.

White Afro
The second short that I saw on MUBI is an avant-garde short by Akosua Adoma Owusu that takes a bit from the 1970s about a hair salon in a predominantly-white town in Virginia where they reveal how white people get afros. It is filled with some text by Toni Morrison and all of these weird visual flares as it does play into this idea of racism and people profiting from racism.

Top 10 Re-Watches:

1. The Bitter Tears of Petra von Kant
2. Avengers: Infinity War
3. Black Panther
4. Love & Mercy
5. Captain America: The Winter Soldier
6. Beauty and the Beast
7. Working Girl
8. Beautiful Dreamer: Brian Wilson and the Story of SmiLe
9. Team Thor
10. Team Thor Pt. 2
Well, that is all for February as March is going to be big with the release of The Batman as I have a ticket to see that film. Other than that, I have no idea whatever theatrical releases I will watch as I have several films on my DVR as well as the streaming services that I have where I hope to catch up on some Oscar nominees and such along with the next film in my Blind Spot Series. There isn’t a big wrestling match that stood out to me this month though I’m sure something will happen in AEW Revolution this coming weekend. While I hope that people in Ukraine are OK as I’m aware that there’s some Ukrainians that have died. I want to express my condolences to the families and friends of people who died this month in Monica Vitti, Mark Lanegan, Gary Brooker of Procol Harum, legendary wrestling referee Mickie Jay Henson, Ivan Reitman, Ian McDonald of King Crimson and Foreigner, Jon Zazula of Megaforce Records, and visual effects legend Douglas Trumbull. Until then, this is thevoid99 signing off…
© thevoid99 2022

1 comment:

Brittani Burnham said...

I'm glad you liked Affairs of the Art! It's my favorite of the animated shorts. I've only got 4 left, I believe and I've seen all 15.