Thursday, February 03, 2022

Thursday Movie Picks: Enemies to Lovers (Romance Trope)

 

For the fifth week of 2022 as part of Wandering Through the Shelves' Thursday Movie Picks. We go into the edition of romantic tropes since it is February and it is Valentine’s season as the first subject is enemies to lovers. A subject that is common with romantic comedies and romantic films as they play into a certain formula that is often trite and dumb. Here are my three picks:

1. A Walk to Remember
From a novel by one of the worst writers ever in Nicholas Sparks is this story about a popular high school kid who meets a local minister’s daughter as they don’t like each other due to their social statuses in high school yet they would fall in love. Aw… BLECH!!!!! Add a story in which the girl is dying from leukemia and the boy is changed by all of this as he would change his life and the end. What a bland and boring story though Mandy Moore at least made her character a bit interesting as she is a damn good actress but working with someone as bland as Shane West… ugh…

2. Sweet Home Alabama
A woman gets proposed to a man she is in love with in New York City but has to return to Alabama for some unfinished business with her soon-to-be ex-husband as she realizes that she misses her home and remembers why she loved her husband the first time around. Lame! I’m sorry but what woman would dump a nice, good-looking, and kind man like Patrick Dempsey for a second rate version of Matthew McConaughey? OK, maybe Dempsey’s mother in Candice Bergen is a bitch but they can work around that. Man, fuck this shit!

3. Leap Year
An idiotic film that has Amy Adams travel to Ireland to accept a wedding proposal on leap day only to meet an Irish innkeeper who is annoyed by her as they hate each other only to then fall in love with each other. Ew… It is just potato salad-levels of blandness where not even its beautiful Irish locales can save the film as it just puts poor Amy Adams in horrible situations. No wonder Matthew Goode took a shit on this film though I understand why he did the role and I can’t fault him for needing work and to be close to his girl and newborn kid.

There is a lesson to this stupid trope so I will allow Homey the Clown to exemplify why the idea of enemies to lovers is a stupid-ass trope.





© thevoid99 2022

6 comments:

Sara said...

I like these choices! A Walk to Remember always makes me cry like a baby.

SJHoneywell said...

If you get the chance, look up Mark Kermode's review of Leap Year. Few people are as entertaining as he is when he's worked up about how bad a film is.

Brittani Burnham said...

The first two I've seen but I never bothered with Leap Year. It's pretty popular this week.

Birgit said...

You are too funny. I think I will pass on a Walk To Forget. It sounds too much like Love Story which is dislike. I might see Leap Year because of the locale. I. Not sure about that last one either. I loved In Living Color. That show was very funny and he sums up love...hahahaa.

ThePunkTheory said...

I almost chose Sweet Home Alabama for this as well, but ended up saving it for another week. 😅

thevoid99 said...

@Sara-Those are some wasted tears.

@SJHoneywell-I have heard of that review a bunch of times. I love Mark Kermode.

@Brittani-It's not worth your time. It's fucking shit.

@Birgit-Glad to know someone here loves that show.

@ThePunkTheory-I hate that fucking movie.