Monday, January 01, 2024

The "Unofficial" Best Films/TV Series of 2023

 

2023 has been a crazy year in films as there was a lot that had happened with the SAG/WAG strike definitely impacted a lot of things for film and television as films would be delayed, actors didn't take part in any promotion for the films they're in, and other things. Still, the year was chaotic as there were some major events in cinema but also burn-out as it relates to superhero films as Marvel is in need to take a step back while DC ended their cinematic universe with a whimper of sorts. Overall, I saw 13 films in 2023 in the theaters with a lot of them being great but a couple of screenings of films that weren't so good at all. Yet, there were a lot of films that I didn't get the chance to see though I hopefully will in the coming months and years to come.

Here are the 2023 films that I haven't seen yet: Past Lives, Ferrari, The Iron Claw, Bottoms, May December, Killers of the Flower Moon, Napoleon, They Cloned Tyrone, Four Daughters, Saltburn, The Boy and the Heron, Godzilla Minus One, Foe, Next Goal Wins, Hitman, Anatomy of a Fall, The Zone of Interest, Shoshana, The Peasants, Wicked Little Letters, Close to You, Wonka, Dream Scenario, Irena's Vow, Memory, The Bikeriders, Janet Planet, Wildcat, All of Us Strangers, Teachers Lounge, The Holdovers, You Are So Not Invited to My Bat Mitzvah, Origin, The Royal Hotel Green Border, Humanist Vampire Seeking Consenting Suicidal Person, Scrapper, Magic Mike's Last Dance, Polite Society, Evil Does Not Exist, Backspot, The Caine Mutiny Court-Martial, Earth Mama, Maestro, Dumb Money, Blackberry, Flamin' Hot, Strange Way of Life, Occupied City, Grenfell, The Beast, Bad Behaviour, Strange Way of Life, The Taste of Things, How to Have Sex, Fallen Leaves, About Dry Grasses, Club Zero, Have You Got It Yet? The Story of Syd Barrett and Pink Floyd, Are You There God? It's Me, Margaret,The Super Mario Bros. Movie, Joy Ride, Close Your Eyes, Inside, The Crime is Mine, Afire, No Hard Feelings, The Starling Girl, Reality, The Eternal Memory, A Thousand and One, Sometimes I Think About Dying, Cat Person, All Dirt Roads Taste of Salt, Rye Lane, Cassandro, Landscape with Invisible Hands, Mami Wata, Monster, Magazine Dreams, Creed III, La Chimera, The Killer, Eileen, You Hurt My Feelings, Fingernails, Consecration, Coup de Chance, The Palace and She Came to Me.

Here are the top films that I saw for 2023 so far...

1. Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse
2. Poor Things
3. Oppenheimer
4. Barbie
5. Infinity Pool
6. Air
7. Elemental
8. Priscilla
9. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Mutant Mayhem
10. John Wick: Chapter 4
11. Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3
12. Asteroid City
13. Jackals & Fireflies
14. The Marvels
15. Once Upon a Studio
16. Eyes Two Times Mouth
17. Stane
18. boygenius: the film
Honorable Mentions: Now and Then: The Last Beatles Song & Maggie Simpson in "Rogue Not Quite One"

Dishonorable Mentions: Ant Man and the Wasp: Quantumania & Beau is Afraid

The world of TV has been just as crazy with some new shows coming though there's an uncertainty into whether they will have 2nd seasons though sadly Willow will not have one as the strike did impact a lot of those shows as there's been some good ones and there was one that was really disappointing as here are the best TV shows I saw in 2023:

1. Ted Lasso (Season 3)
2. Ahsoka (Season 1)
3. Loki (Season 2)
4. Dark Side of the Ring (Season 4)
5. The Mandalorian (Season 3)
6. What If...? (Season 2)
7. I Am Groot (Season 2)
8. That 90s Show (Season 1)
9. Willow
Dishonorable Mention: Secret Invasion

© thevoid99 2024

4 comments:

Brittani Burnham said...

Great list! We have a lot of overlap and you have some I haven't seen yet. I love that you included TV as well. I'm going to miss Ted Lasso. His positivity was welcomed in my house.

thevoid99 said...

@Brittani-Thank you. I'm gonna miss that show too. I just love how positive it is and I love those characters. I would love for a spin-off in which AFC Richmond becomes a great team while Rebecca and Keeley get a woman who can be the coach for their women's team with Ted's help from afar as he gets a job being the coach for Sporting KC as they become a sibling team for AFC Richmond.

Ruth said...

Having seen Poor Things this weekend (finally!!) it's definitely going to be on my Top 10 list! Unfortunately, I don't care for Asteroid City despite the excellent cast, but Oppenheimer and AIR will be on my best list as well.

thevoid99 said...

@Ruth-Awesome! I'm dealing with a cold right now as I haven't had the chance to watch anything new but I'm glad you watched Poor Things.