Wednesday, January 01, 2014

The "Unofficial" Best Films of 2013




Now that 2013 is over, there are still a bunch of films that I want to see coming out in that year that include such awards contenders like Her, Labor Day, and The Past. There's also films like Under the Skin, Nymphomaniac, Only Lovers Left Alive, The Zero Theorem, and many more that are going to come out in 2014. Still, this has been a very good year in films as I present this non-definitive list of the 37 best films of 2013 so far...:

1. The Wolf of Wall Street



2. Gravity



3. 12 Years a Slave



4. Blue is the Warmest Color



5. Before Midnight



6. The Grandmaster



7. Big Star: Nothing Can Hurt Me



8. Fruitvale Station



9. Nebraska



10. Dallas Buyers Club



11. Behind the Candelabra



12. Trance



13. The Bling Ring



14. American Hustle



15. Captain Phillips



16. Inside Llewyn Davis



17. The World's End



18. The Spectacular Now



19. The Way, Way Back



20. The Hunger Games: Catching Fire



21. Blue Jasmine



22. Stoker



23. Philomena



24. Pacific Rim



25. Only God Forgives



26. Enough Said



27. History of the Eagles



28. The Great Gatsby



29. Side Effects



30. Mike Tyson: Undisputed Truth



31. Pussy Riot: A Punk Prayer



32. Don Jon



33. Anchorman 2: The Legend Continues



34. Thor: The Dark World



35. Warm Bodies



36. I'm So Excited!



37. Iron Man 3



I also want to make a honorable mention towards Jane Campion's TV miniseries Top of the Lake which I think does great work in the medium of television. There's also some shorts that I think should be mentioned in Aningaaq, Castello Cavalcanti, and From One Second to the Next. There's some other 2013 releases that were on TV that I saw in Jack the Giant Slayer and Oz the Great and Powerful which were pretty mediocre. That's all for now on 2013. Let's hope 2014 is just as good.

© thevoid99 2014

6 comments:

ruth said...

WOW, you've seen a ton of movies, man! Glad to see Pacific Rim on there, that's such a surprise of the Summer for me.

As for Nymphomaniac, I wouldn't go near it even if someone paid me!

thevoid99 said...

Uh... I'm guessing you're not a fan of Lars von Trier. That's OK. He's not for everyone. I'll take your place in seeing the film.

Alex Withrow said...

A great list. Huge props from including Mike Tyson: Undisputed Truth, which I absolutely adored. Tyson really bared his heart to us there.

thevoid99 said...

@Alex Withrow-Thanks. I love watching that thing as I just think Tyson is very engaging presence but also very funny.

Courtney Small said...

Of your top 20, I am hoping to finally catch up with The Grandmaster, Fruitvale Station and The Spectacular now in the next week or so. I also need to get to Behind the Candelabra and The Way, Way Back at some point. I did not feel the same way about Trance as you did, it is actually my least favourite of Boyle's film. Trance had some good moments but it felt like it lost its way halfway through…might need to watch that one again at some point.

thevoid99 said...

@Courtney Small-With The Grandmaster, make sure it's the long version. Trance was a film I really liked as I saw it as a modern-day noir film that definitely recalled some of the energy and chaos of Trainspotting which is still my favorite Danny Boyle film.