Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Blog News 10/19/11 & Blogging Around


Well, it's been a while since I've posted some news. Right now, I've been busy with a myriad of projects including reviewing the script that I've been working on for months where I hope to have the first draft ready for November. At the same time, I'm writing a treatment for another project that I started work on since late September. It's going to be the first part of a trilogy of stories about lonely American women set into different continents around the world. I guess after seeing Drive, I became inspired though I'm planning to do things differently based on the films that I've seen for the past month.

I've finally released the fourth part of my Auteurs series on Gus Van Sant although I'm a bit disappointed that it didn't come out the way I had hoped to do it. Largely because I wanted to see Restless and get a chance to see it so I can complete it in a proper form after doing this project since late August. What happened was a bunch of things that included family visiting, money, and timing that all came in a bad way and the film only played one week in Atlanta. Thanks a lot Sony Classics for giving it a very limited release. Fuckheads.

Well, that is out of the way as I've gotten a lot of work done on the fifth subject of my Auteurs series on Alexander Payne as I'm expecting that one to be released in late November/early December following the release of The Descendants. Then, I will do Lynne Ramsay and hope to have it out by the end of the year. There's a lot of subjects I plan to do for 2011 though I won't reveal much on which filmmakers I plan to profile next year. The one I will mention that I will profile since I am familiar with his work is Lars von Trier which I hope to do around late December through January.

I'm currently trying to pace myself as the reviews are easy to do since it only takes me a few hours to do them. The essay stuff is a bit tricky as I work it on it for a while and stop. Then come back to a few days as I've now begun work on the first essay of my Favorite Album series that I will post late in November as the conclusion of my 1991-20 series on my other blog. There's a lot of albums I want to profile for that series but I will reveal more about that as well as other 2012 plans in December.

For now, I'm trying to take one project at a time while whatever old reviews that I have that I feel needs to be fixed will be re-written entirely. That's all the news that I feel that needs to be discussed as I'm trying to take it slow and figure out what to release in the coming days.

In the blogosphere, there's a lot going on that has kept me awake from boredom.

There's a great debate about the idea of having no narratives in films that was started by Corey at Just Atad where James@ Cinema Sights has a great counterpoint which I agree with.

Edgar @ Between the Seats is doing his Shaw Brothers marathon as well as the Bond marathon where he finally gives his take on the two Timothy Dalton-starring films in The Living Daylights and Licence to Kill.

JBT @ Big Thoughts from a Small Mind has a great piece of one of my favorites of the 1980s in Sixteen Candles which I think is a better movie than a lot of people give credit for despite my mixed opinion on John Hughes.

Bryce @ Things Don't Suck has been doing a marathon of horror films in spirit with Halloween as he has a great review of Howard Hawks' version of The Thing that should be read.

Ryan @ the Matinee has a great review of what is certainly going to one of the year's best films in Take Shelter.

Dan @ Dan the Man's Movie Reviews is also doing a Halloween marathon of sorts as he has a review of David Fincher's Se7en that I think people should check out.

Jake @ Not Just Movies has a wonderful review of one of my favorite films of the last decade in May.

Bonjour Tristesse has a great review of the new Dardenne Brothers movie The Kid with a Bike is one of those films I'm dying to see as I'm a big fan of the Dardenne Brothers.

If anyone is going to check out the new Paul W.S. Anderson film version of The Three Musketeers, Andy @ Andy Buckle's Film Emporium shows why you should not spend any of that money on Anderson's new film.

Stevee @ Cinematic Paradox reveals the world of film posters of how to sell a movie the right and wrong way.

Phil @ Phil on Film is doing some report on the London Film Festival where he gives a very scathing review on the new Fernando Meirelles' film 360.

Cinema Du Meep is doing a marathon of 80s Horror which includes a fun review of Nightmare on Elm Street 3: The Dream Warriors. Goddamn, that fucking Dokken song is stuck on my head right now.

Finally, Leysa @ Eternity of Dream closes her Heath Ledger marathon with a review of one of my all-time favorite films in I'm Not There.

Well, that is all for today. Expect more parts of my 1991-20 series at my music blog as well as reviews of albums by Nirvana and My Bloody Valentine in the coming weeks as I'm currently assembling a list of the best albums of that year to conclude that series. I will also work on some mini-marathon of horror/thrillers to watch for the remainder of the month which will conclude with a review of a film I had never seen in Guillermo del Toro's Cronos. In the meantime, in tune with some of the music I've been really getting into as of late. I will close with a clip of one of these pieces that I've been getting into. Until then, take care and spike your hair. WWWYKI!!!

2 comments:

Andy Buckle said...

Thanks for the link, man!

thevoid99 said...

You're welcome.